Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Screening Software Developer CVs in Egypt

In order to help me create a mental image of an applicant upon scanning his or her CV, and to help me quickly classify the CV in my mind as a preliminary step for further deeper examination, I look at the following pieces of information in the order presented below:

  • Name, gender
  • Location of residence.
  • College and university.
  • Graduation project, what it is about and technologies used in it.
  • Previous employers, role and achievements there.
  • Date of birth.

This enables me to create a mental picture of the person behind the CV. After that, I scan for specific technologies needed using the Find command. Examples of specific technologies I scan or are: web services, XML, AJAX, JSP, struts, Linux, JavaScript, CSS, UML … etc.

This quick way of scanning the CV helps me quickly weed out unsuitable applicants and sort out the promising ones. After that one can start having a deeper look to see who will be asked for an interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment