Sunday, March 26, 2006

US Companies in Egypt

My mom once asked if the increase in foreign investment in Egypt was good for the country. I told her yes it's good. Foreign investment in Egypt fuels the market increasing its momentum. Not only is money injected into Egypt and new jobs created but international level technology and business practices are introduced which upgrades the skill-set of the Egyptian talent pool making it more competitive on an international level.

According to the Egyptian MCIT web site, IT companies in Egypt have jumped to over 1500 companies in 2005. Many of those companies are actually foreign investment. Some are US based companies, others are companies from Germany, France, Sweden as well as other Arab countries such as UAE and KSA. The majority of those companies though are Egyptian.

Sure getting in contact with international level technology and business practices is beneficial. Many of the Egyptian software companies have been started by entrepreneurs who have originally worked at foreign companies in Egypt. ITWorx is a good example of a software company that started in Egypt by two Egyptians. Ten years later, ITWorx has grown to a $10 million annual target. Business Today Egypt magazine has an interesting article about this.

I do work at the Cairo development center of a US based software company. Sure I feel the technology transfer that takes place. Graduates of FCI, Cairo University and FCIS, Ain Shams University as well as FCI, Helwan University are among our employees. We also employ computer engineering graduates from Ain Shams, Alexandria and other universities. Those bright software developers are getting exposed to bleeding edge technologies and are developing software systems on an international level. This is what I call technology transfer. In addition, the business practices and general work atmosphere they are getting exposed to further enhances their capacity and skills.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:01 AM

    For me, I’m working in an American institution and I can't compare between the US institutions & companies and the Egyptian's because I've never been working for any of the Egyptian ones before, and all that I know about the working environment in the Egyptian companies I knew it from my friends’ experiences, and due to their describing I find it so hard to be a part of one of them - specially the governmental ones - and if you are ambitious and development supporter person you will suffer a lot till they will kill every dream you have and will turn you to be as all the other employees ( lazy and uncaring ) or till you resign.
    And now, I need to know if this vision of the Egyptian companies and institutions is true or not?! If yes, I need to know what can someone like me participate to change this bad system from the core?!
    Anyways I know that I’m so talkative so hope that you didn’t get bothered ...Myra Sakr

    ReplyDelete
  2. what myra sakr mentioned is 100% correct moreover any foreign company has operation in egypt carried out by egyptian top management is excepected to be the same as other egyptian companies ( fuul of oppression and tyranny and know nothing about the principal of equal opportuinity )and my advice to overcome that bad employment situation is to keep the highest roles of top management position in American hands because the average egyptian manager doesn't know any thing about the technology of management
    or the fair treatment to the labour
    plus they don't even hear about the notion of customer delihgt especially when it comes to be applicable for the human resources.

    ReplyDelete