Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Writing Technical Job Ads

Yesterday, I sat down with the Senior Developers to determine the company's requirements of new recruits. It's best to consult with the people who are senior and those whom have their hands and minds involved inside the project. That's something I had learned during my work at Sharm in the HR department of a 1600-employee operation. It was a piece of advice given to me by the HR Director. Indeed, it does bring good results. Not only does it help tailor solutions to the real problems, but it also makes people feel better for being consulted and see results in a more favorable way in addition of course to producing better results.

Today I started outlining the job ad for the several positions required. Due to my insider knowledge of IT technology and programming I was able to write deeper and better targeted job ads, specially in the requirements section. My insider knowledge of programming and IT technologies gave me an edge. I started fleshing out the outline with bits and pieces from what I had gathered yesterday from the input of the senior developers in addition to my own knowledge of the available talent pool in the market and their profiles. After adding points to the job ad here and there and finding it has flashed up reasonably well, I showed it to one of the senior developers for feedback whom in tern also showed it to another developer within his team. They gave me some more suggestions and additions most of which I took into consideration and edited the job ad accordingly. I finally submitted the final draft of the job ad to the other senior developer (who is higher in rank than the firs one) to have a final look. Probably I'll be posting the ad tomorrow God willing if he gives me feedback on the ad by then.

It's been tough work, but the results I believe are promising and exciting. It is quite rewarding to find some deep and hard work evolve finally into a nice piece of work, it's like the feeling you get after completing working on a work of art!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:58 AM

    Dear Mr. Ashraf
    I didn't find your email in the blog. just a question, I am very much interested in HR management (I have an MBA, Major HR), and I have been searching for a Job in HR, but with no hope. Any suggestions or a tip you can add to this blog to help interested people to find jobs in HR!?
    my mail is nancy_samy@email.com
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete