Wednesday, June 16, 2004

CVs

Excel seemed like a good way to keep a record of incoming CVs. They came mostly via fax, some by email. Some people also called to ask for work, but I told them to fax their CVs. Email is not widely accessible specially for positions such as waters bus boys housemen or the like.

I started by creating an Excel file that had fields for name, date of birth (which I converted to age by a simple formula), education, marital status, languages ... etc. I should also have added one or more fields for experience, previous work experience. But I left this for later on for it seemed too consuming a job and I wanted to hurry up and enter the largest number of CVs first then perhaps get back later on and refine the data add experiene fields and so on.

Actually, the 'project' collapsed as there were too many CVs to enter at one time and I just gave it all up. Perhaps if I was in charge of getting the CVs right from the beginning this would not have hapenned. Yes, but this is a pretext I'm saying to myself. I could have still persisted on putting the CVs into Excel. Silly me.

No comments:

Post a Comment