Thursday, June 24, 2004

Organization Chart: Visio Style

Using PowerPoint to draw the organization chart was really tedious, specially in a place where there are over 1500 employees! Visio seems like a breez. I was finally able to download a trial version and let Visio create organization charts automatically from data in an Excel file! Now I'm satisfied.

But it seems humans are always greedy for more. After the first feelings of extacy on seeing the automatically generated organization chart, I found that it still needed adjustment. First of all, there was no way of determining the "level" of the employee. My wish was that employees of the same level be on the same vertical level in the chart. But it seems that this was not possible and even not present in organization charts at all whether automatically or manually generated. Some other features were also absent such as specifying in the Excel file if the person was an assistant or a secretary so that it could be placed in a special way in the organization chart.

Perhaps after all I might discover that Visio does some of the features I need but just don't know how to use it to do them. Yet most probably it'll still lack some features that I do need. Anyway, nothing's perfect in life after all. Perhap's I'd just have to do those adjustments by hand after visio does the tough work. At least now I'll not have to struggle any more with PowerPoint's primitive organization chart creation features.

No comments:

Post a Comment