Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Employee of the Month

At first I told myself there was no use in this Employee Party that is held each month. Some employees are selected as employees of the month and given certificates and some cash during the party. I though this process of offering some kind of recognition to employees of the month is just another routine tasteless thing that is uselessly done.

Yesterday, during the Employees' Party, I gave it a second thought. At first I did not want to attend this party, but I just had to, I was ordered by my boss to attend as I'm working in the HR department. I was standing near the place where employees of the month received their certificates plus cash prize. I saw for myself how happy they were getting this kind of recognition and shaking hands with the General Manager, HR Director and other key persons there. Their colleagues clapped for them and cheared loadly while they came out to receive their crtificates.

Although I was just standing there watching not really interested and not doing much at first, yet after a short while I found myself clapping with the people and feeling happy. It's like the stream of feeling happy spread out of these employees of the month and their colleagues and resonated inside me.

We stayed for some extra time after the party ended clapping with the music and dancing around. It was mostly HR staff. Then we left the place with a nice feeling of happiness. What made it feel nice too and made us stay for this extra while was that one of the HR staff was selected as employee of the month. His happiness was just indescribable.

I have now changed my mind. Making an employee party and selecting an employee of the month is not just another routine task to be done. It's something that does really matter to our staff and does make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment